Coco, Day 2

Bad photo of a happy face Coco!
If you're just joining us, here's some back-story to catch you up.

I forgot to tell you that Coco has had ZERO interest in the cats so far.  Of course, she's had not much interest in most things yet, barely exploring her new digs at all.  So, the cats might become more interesting as she becomes more bold.

Pogo and his lure pole, on a muddy day a few years ago















Before we had our walk yesterday afternoon, Pogo couldn't wait for H to get home to get some wiggles out.  I took all three dogs out to the yard.

I had made a lure pole out of pvc pipe, rope and a rubber honey-comb-type ball, which is great for wearing Pogo out quickly, so we played with that for a bit.  I was interested to see how Coco handled the wild energy that game means.  Brilly also made some playful runs behind me, and Coco wasn't sure how or if she should join in.  She did a few tentative dashes back and forth, towards and then away from the focused cannon ball that Pogo becomes.  I think she might be interested in giving it a go herself.  I'll try her separately soon, see how she feels about it then.

Our walk went great.  H took the boys, I took Coco, and we set out down the trails through the tall grass on our property.  The trails wind around, up and down a bit, with a few mucky places and places where the grass has fallen across the trail some, making it necessary to brush through it.  At dog-eye-level, she wouldn't be able to see ahead very far at all in those spots.  Nonetheless, she stayed right with us, rarely showing any reluctance, but never "freezing".  She was pretty interested in all the smells in the grass when we stopped to let the dogs sniff or leave pee-mail in several places.  Any self-respecting dog would want to sniff around all the vole trails and dug-up spots, not to mention the occasional coyote or feral cat scat placed for maximum statement value at the crossing points on the trails.

The whole walk took us maybe 15 minutes, and she was very happy to see us moving towards the house door.  Still, she stayed pretty engaged and didn't go to her crate, and even seemed excited to go out again a little later, when we took them all out to potty and meander around in the yard a bit before dinner.

After dinner, she did go to her crate, and besides the bed-time potty outing (for which we had to wake her up and convince her it was mandatory), she basically stayed there 'til after my shower this morning.  We joked that we broke the dog already!  She was in there roaching, fast asleep, even through a wild howl set up by Brilly in his sleep.

Coco's opinion is that it's time to go back in the house.  This way out, people!
This morning was a little frosty, but clear and bright.  She got up happy, even a little excited, starting to show us the little head tosses Annie told us she does.  Out to the yard, a little bit of trotting, some short tentative play bursts, which Pogo wanted to expand on, but Coco wasn't quite ready for, and it was time to head back in, in her opinion.

She's learning to "wait" at the door and gate.  It's not her first thought, but she is beginning to get that we insist on it before she's allowed to go "out".  And that actually waiting gets good praise and petting! As does going "out" when asked!  Simple pleasures.  :D

"It's neat out here.  I think.  I can see a long way.  What's that smell?"
Actually getting to her bowl for breakfast was a bit of a confusing dance again, since it means having to follow me through a gate, which is a bit intimidating to her.  I didn't want the dither to build into a pattern or a rough spot in her mind, so I decided to take her by her halter and lead her through.  That meant I had to get hold of her, and she was now a bit worked up.  There's a risk in being too tentative, making a big deal of something, so I steeled myself to be both gentle and casually sure, walked to her in an arc, took her halter, and talked her happily through.  All's well that ends with a bowl of food, so that went alright.  I even brushed her teeth with the electric toothbrush today. She wasn't thrilled, but she's very gentle in her expression of dislike.  When I was done, I rubbed her neck in a way I've found she really enjoys, and she actually leaned her whole weight on me for several minutes.  A bit of carrot, and all was forgiven.

We've been doing some training games, very simple ones, with kibble, apple, carrots, learning just that doing something can result in a treat.  The boys know enough commands that they were good models, and she even learned to wait her turn as I went one by one.  She's food motivated, thank goodness, so she'll get it eventually.

"Hi!  What's that?  Can I eat it?"
So far today, she's been out to the yard to potty and meander a bit, with a short walk on the property before breakfast, out because she was sure something interesting might be happening out there, twice, and then finally bounded into my studio (which is like our pack's den during the day) to stretch out in her little sun spot on the floor.  She wagged happily when H came back from a meeting, got a round of petting, some treats for sitting, and then went back to her sunspot.

I have a friend who has silken windhounds, and is a very gentle soul.  I've invited her to come by in the next couple days.  It will be good to see how she does with yet another stranger, but one who I think may be half-sighthound herself.

That's it for now!  I've got to get back to my portrait marathon!!

Please feel free to leave comments, and/or to jaunt on over to Born to Run Global Sighthound Rescue to make a donation, so dogs like Coco will have a chance at a life without fear for their lives.

Comments

Popular Posts