Rainy day #GAWDKNOWSWHAT!

*sigh*
I finally did get my studio warm, which is nice.  Outside, it's dismal and soggy.  Literally!  I just took a stroll around with the dogs, and it was like walking on sopping wet sponges.

Kind of interesting, though.  The grass is wormed and riddled with some beasties' tunnels.  Voles, for sure, who's tunnels moved under or through the grass, but not down in the soil, but someone about the same hamster-size is also tunneling through the earth, leaving clean holes on the surface.  No piles of dirt, like I expect from gophers, or long mounds like I'm told moles make.  I'll have to do some research to satisfy my curiosity!

A friend introduced me to her other friends as "a naturalist" the other day.  I was flattered, but surprised, since I wouldn't presume to such an august title.  Her friend - a real naturalist - asked politely for specifics, and I just turned to my friend, saying, "I don't know!  I'm curious to see what she says!"  I think I embarrassed her a little, which was NOT my intent, but I really was curious!  She sort of sputtered that she thinks of me that way, since I (paraphrasing here!) always seem to have something to say about animals.  Well, I have something to say about almost everything.  It's a family trait, I'm afraid.

While I've been writing, the light has changed.  The sun is sinking, and has a strip of thinner cloud to peek through, making a warm, diffuse glow fill the air between me and the far line of trees, which are silhouetted in the mist.  Lovely, and so fleeting!

Poor H had a blow-out on the freeway this afternoon, but got himself safely pulled over, thank goodness.  Last I heard, he was sitting reading his Nook, waiting for the tow truck.  He has a good spare, but no jack, as it turns out.  Well, that's what insurance is for, I guess.  I hope he's seeing this subtle light show.

I've been having a hard time getting anything done on many many fronts.  Translated: I haven't gotten anything much done on any front.  It seems I have SAD, and it's really kicking my butt this year.  Last year didn't seem so bad, but man!  This year, I'm just about incapacitated.  Well, I am, honestly.  I have so much I need to be doing ... and it all just seems way too much to even think about.  Here's my current list:

  1. Design greeting cards (I have some ideas, but that's as far as it's gotten).
  2. Figure out how to include meta stuff (tags? words? descriptions?) into my iWeb-designed website, to make it more search engine friendly.  
  3. Design the Hope for Hounds design for 2011
  4. Paint a portrait that's been waiting for ... um ... I don't even know how long!  I started it, wrecked it, gessoed over it, and now can't bear to look at it.  :P
  5. Make a present for grandniece Tali and send off the whole bunch of Xmas presents for her household.
  6. Make crafts for the people who signed up to exchange them on FB.
  7. Think of something to blog about on my art blog.
  8. Think of something to FB about for my Stroke of Green page.
  9. Clean house, for gawd's sake!
  10. Take the boydogs to the vet to get their stitches out.
  11. Oh, I'm sure there's way more ... but don't you think that's enough?
  12. Croton: Tolerant, colorful, light-loving ...
    Hey, that sounds like me!
    Right?
    Right??
    (Croton Elaine)
  13. Beat myself up for not doing all this in a day, like either one of my sisters could!
Later...
H brought home a plant for me, 'cause I said having plants to look at is supposed to help with the winter blues.  Isn't that sweet?  A really colorful ... um ... I want to say coleus?

Wrong.  It's a Croton.  I hope we can get along.  It says on its label that it's "tolerant".  It's gonna need that!

I've been thinking of doing an altered book for Tali's present, but couldn't think of anything to fill a whole book!  (Winter Brain Death Syndrome)  CC sent me a story she improvised for T on their way to school the other morning that just BEGS for lots of illustrations.  Et voila!  That will be a fun project.  I just hope I can do it in less than a year!  :P

Later still...
Well, I'm off to bed.  Must get plenty of sleep so I can spring into action tomorrow morning.  Oh, I got a pair of those 5 Hour Energy things at the grocery store tonight.  Yes, I'm that desperate.  We'll see how that goes....

Comments

Popular Posts